write a 50- to 100-word response to each of the five questions. Please provide an explanation in your responses. Write your answers under the questions. Thank you! Week 5 Questions.docx
1 attachmentsSlide 1 of 1attachment_1attachment_1
Unformatted Attachment Preview
1. Oil production in the United States satisfies only half of the country’s needs; the rest
is imported. If imports were cut off, what changes would you expect to occur in your
2. Investigate how geophysicist M. King Hubbert predicted in 1956 that annual U.S oil
production would peak in the early 1970’s (the actual peak occurred in 1971). Also,
investigate the debate over whether the same predictive technique can be applied to
world oil supplies. When do you think world oil production will reach its peak? Or has
it done so already?
3. Many hydrothermal mineral deposits of copper, gold, silver, and other metals have
been found in the countries bordering the Pacific Ocean. Can you offer an
explanation for this remarkable concentration? If you were part of a team of
exploration geologists looking for large copper deposits, where would you focus your
4. Given that we are now dependent on nonrenewable resources of energy and
minerals and that the world’s population continues to increase, how do you think
human societies will adjust in the future? Do we have a resource problem or a
population problem (or both)?
5. Some people think that sustainable development is not a useful concept because it
may be impossible to implement or even to define in the case of nonrenewable
resources. Others think that it is an extremely important concept, if only because it
makes us think about the needs of future generations in planning resource
management. What do you think?
Purchase answer to see full
User generated content is uploaded by users for the purposes of learning and should be used following Studypool’s honor code & terms of service.
Reviews, comments, and love from our customers and community: