1 attachmentsSlide 1 of 1attachment_1attachment_1
Unformatted Attachment Preview
Math 1342 Section_____
Palomino ID: ______________
Measures of Central Tendency and Variation
A measure of central tendency is a value that represents a typical, or central,
entry of a data set. The three most commonly used measures of central tendency
are the mean, median and mode. A way to measure the variation (or spread) of a
data set is to find the range, variance and standard deviation.
Annual Salaries: Sample annual salaries (in the thousands of dollars) for
accountants in Dallas are listed.
41.6 50.0 49.5 38.7 39.9 44.7 44.7 47.8 40.5
1. Using the annual salaries data set, find the mean, median, and mode.
2. Interpret the meaning of each measure of central tendency (mean, median,
mode) with respect to annual salaries?
3. Using the annual salaries data set, find the range, variance and standard
standard deviation: __________
4. Interpret the meaning of each measure of variation (range, variance,
standard deviation) with respect to annual salaries?
5. If the sample annual salary for Dallas is changed by adding the data point
Compute the mean: ______
6. Based on the change, what valid conclusion can be drawn between means?
7. How does this additional data point affect the median? Please provide an
explanation to support your inference.
Purchase answer to see full
Explanation & Answer:
Measures of central tendency
Central Tendency and Variation
User generated content is uploaded by users for the purposes of learning and should be used following Studypool’s honor code & terms of service.
Reviews, comments, and love from our customers and community: